9.11.2010

My Evolution of Dance



Why do I love dance music? Because you can see an evolution of rhythms and sound patterns, reused, recycled, and repurposed. Old bits become new bits, and the artist marries just enough of the old and the new to skate the line between familiar and new territory. Let's take a look, using pokemon as an example. This is the Oddish.








Many years later, someone loves this track [how could you not honestly] and decides to take it to the next level. It evolves. Gloom.




Then the song gets taken to a new place. A little dirtier, a little meaner. The tune has gone through some stuff, lived some life, and to paraphrase an old roommate "it's seen a lot of shit in it's day." We have arrived at Vileplume.




What made me so inspired as to write this? Why this sweet ass track- it's giving me a little John Secada, a little Soul2Soul. Something in there is familiar, and it's from the 90s. And I love it.

No comments: